Saturday 22 December 2012

21/12/12: Kai Iwi Beach

It was here at Kai Iwi Beach that I had the swim of the summer so far.  It was unbelievably lovely in the water.  I could have spent all afternoon in there, gaily jumping and splashing about in the waves like a seal.

I'm learning something about water temperature in New Zealand though.  Like, cereal, in Wellington the water is usually a bit cold.  You can still go on in and have a swim but you have to really turn up your braveness to 11 to get over the initial coldness of the water.   Up at Kai Iwi Beach the story is different.  As I said, I could have stayed in there all afternoon.

There must be some sort of line somewhere up the country.  Below the line is too cold to swim.  Above the line is just right.  I've tried to draw this on a map but I couldn't find a very good map of the New Zealand so excuse me if there are any inaccuracies.


No comments: