Saturday 15 December 2012

13/12/12: Snorkeling Twice

It's amazing how I don't look at all like a dork in this photo.  I just look nothing like a dork.

Snorkeling with a wetsuit is amazing.  For most of the year the water around Wellington is too cold to swim in without a wetsuit. Since I've never had a wetsuit, I have not been able to swim in the water around Wellington for most of the year.

Wetsuits are a bit of a catch 22.  They are expensive, which means I'm not going to buy one unless I know how awesome they are to wear.  But if I don't buy one then I'll never know how awesome they are.  Is that a catch 22?  I think so, but tell me if it isn't.  I think it's a catch 22 which I've made a meal of explaining.

The way to go is to borrow a friend's wetsuit, which I did.  Twice.  In one day.  Two different friends. Things are better in twos.

Snorkeling around the rocks of the south coast is great.  I found it to be a very peaceful experience.  It felt like I was on a drug trip and I'll explain why.  Under the water there is a lot of sea plants growing on the rocks.  It's kind of like floating through a garden.  Fish swim in and out and around the plants and they are kind of like the birds in the underwater garden.  It's like another world.  I think I'm going to buy a wetsuit. Thanks to John for giving me a go in his wetsuit in the afternoon, and thanks to Danny for the evening wetsuit lendage.


This is John. He's leaving Wellington.  I'll miss John.

No comments: