Monday 5 January 2009

Greenwich - Not actually a green sandwich.

I went out to visit my friend Toby in Greenwich a few days ago and he offered to show me the local sights. Of course, I only had one thing on my mind - I'm in Greenwich, show me the Greenwich Mean Time related sight! Damn tourist.

So we wandered over to Greenwich Park (yes, there were squirrels), and up Greenwich Hill (I assume it's called that), to the Royal Observatory, Greenwich (Greenwich sounds quite self-obsessed at this point). This is where old white men with glasses concocted the idea of GMT a couple of hundred years ago I guess. It's also where the longitude is 0 degrees. The "Prime Meridian", it's called. So on one side of that line of longitude is the Eastern Hemisphere, and on the other is the Western Hemisphere. And the touristy part?

THEY HAVE THE LINE DRAWN ON THE GROUND! AND A LASER TO SHOW THE LINE TOO! hehe The perfect nerd-trap. See my sweet photos.
Toby and Myself. The view is out over Greenwich Park, looking towards the Canary Wharf business district (those tall buildings).

The Laser. To the left of the photo is the Eastern Hem. To the right of the photo, the Western.

This is how one ought to conduct one's self when in two hemispheres simultaneously. I considered pulling out the old Simpsons gag of "Now I'm in the West, now I'm in the East, now I'm in the West..." etc, but, in Greenwich, I don't think they tolerate that kind of crap.

This is Canary Wharf as it started to get dark. Look closely... can you see the green laser beam going across the photo?